The Bartender provides bar services in the restaurant and bar/lounge of our outlets; takes drink orders, serves beverages, develops drinks and ensures that all areas are constantly sanitized.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Advises on beverage choices, takes beverage orders from serving staff or directly from patrons, accurately writes orders on slips, memorizes orders, enters orders into point of sale (POS) Systems.
- Serves snacks or food items to guests seated at the bar and answers questions about menu items.
- Ensures mise-en-place is ready before service.
- Ensures wines are chilled as necessary, pours for tasting and fills/ replenishes glasses as required, ensuring that service standards are met.
- Serves wine and other beverages at the correct temperature and in the correct glasses, creates drink recipes and mixes ingredients, such as liquor, soda, water, sugar, and bitters; prepares cocktails and other drinks.
- May be required to perform food preparation duties such as garnishing and decorating dishes in preparation for serving, brewing coffee, and preparing hot, cold, and mixed drinks for patrons.
- Slices and decorate juices with fruit or garnishes drinks; ensures that there are sufficient supplies of clean glasses, crockery, napkins, etc. available for each shift; orders or requisitions liquors and supplies.
- Monitors expiry dates of all homemade and commercial products daily. Informs the bar manager about the products which are about to expire to plan accordingly.
- At the end of every shift, conducts stock takes and identifies missing stock, enters orders for stock requisitions and collects stock from store.
- Prepares accurate bills that itemize total costs and taxes; presents bills and collects payments from customers balancing cash receipts at the end of the shift.
- Cleans glasses, utensils, bar equipment and bars, ensuring that standards of cleanliness, hygiene and sanitation are met.
- Ensures a clean and sanitized working space during operation.
- Strong knowledge of wines, spirits, classic and signature cocktails, and food.
- Aware of all promotions and upcoming events taking place at the venue and informs guests accordingly.
- Assists in developing promotional events and entertainment as required and ensures that any planned activities are organized and run effectively.
- Control of bar stock and supplies.
- Cleans and keeps the bar neat and orderly.
- Stock count (daily).
- Bar prep and break down before and after shift.
- Stock ordering (bar related).
- In the event that there is no supervisor or manager during closing, the bartender will be responsible for cash out and handing the cash to reception.
- Staff – NIL
- Finance – Responsible for accurate bills and cash handling
- Other – Supervised by Bar Manager
Work and Business Relations
- Internal – Up to Manager level: give and receive information
- External – Patrons of establishment: give and receive information, and gaining cooperation
Education and Experience Required
High School Diploma or equivalent preferred. Should have experience of working in a multi-cultural environment and previous experience as a bartender. Must have knowledge of:
- Bar operational procedures
- Sanitation requirements and food/beverage handling safety standards
- Governmental regulations and safety standards
- Cocktail and recognized drink recipes
- Beverage storage
- Relevant food items to outlet
- Knowledge of wines and alcohol
- Good command of English language, written and spoken
Ideal Skills and Attributes Required
- Effective problem-solving skills
- Strong customer/staff relation skills
- Upselling skills
- Knowledge of overall hotel operations as they relate to bar outlets
- Effective influence skills
Skills and Personal Attributes Preferred
Work Conditions and Physical Demands
- Bar environment and store